Previous chapter - Full list of chapters - Liste over kapitler på norsk - Next chapter
«HISTORY OF EMIGRATION FROM NORDMØRE - Stangvik and Surnadal parishes»
* For disclaimer, please see end of text.
KANDIYOHI COUNTY - WILLMAR
The Engelli Family (Follerøli)
Erik and Brynhild of Engellia (Follerølia) moved to Stemshaug, according to HH, with their children Lars, Ola, and Ragnhild. Guri, Johanna, and Johannes were born in Stemshaug. All went to America, except Ragnhild who was married in Norway and stayed here. Evelyn Anderson, Ola's granddaughter, claims the family went back to Surnadal before emigrating.
Ole Eriksen of the "Johan"
Ole dictated a short biography of himself to his youngest daughter, Florence, before he died (translated from English): "Ole Edward Erickson Sr. was born September 13, 1842 in Stangvik Parish, Norway. He sailed to America May 2, 1868, landing in Quebec.
From Quebec he went to LaCrosse where he sheaved wheat. From LaCrosse he continued on to Minneapolis, Minnesota. There he started working for the railroad, staying at it for a year. He then came to the place that is now Willmar. There were then only a few huts there. He helped build the railroad from St. Paul to Willmar.
He homesteaded 9 miles south of Willmar, in what is now Whitefield. Later he purchased more land, adding it to his claim. He lived there for 34 years.
He married Ingeborg Olsen in January 1869. They had ten children and moved to Spicer in 1902. There they had three more children."
Photo reference 221/1: Ole Erickson Follerøli. Here with his daughter Jeannie | Belongs to: Florence Erickson.
Ole died May 28, 1922, on a Sunday evening at 9 o'clock, and was buried June 1.
Ole's information regarding his crossing in May 2, 1868 ensures he was on the "Johan", one of those not found on the passenger list, possibly hidden by the duplicating machine in the dark shadows at the edges of the copy. He indicates he married Ingeborg Olson in January 1869 and, according to Evelyn, their first child was born in April 1869. The family believes Ingeborg was from Nordmøre, in any case from Norway, but they met in America.
Ole and Ingeborg first lived in a sod hut. After a while the rain washed away the sod, and one day a snake got in when Ingeborg was present. Ole built a respectable house in short order after this visitation, and it is still standing.
Evelyn lists their children as Betsy, Ole, Ragna, Emma, Inga, Marie Elivine (Mary), and Jenny, plus several that died as infants (3).
With his second wife, Brita Arthun (Årthun?) from the Bergen area, he had the children Emil, Martin, Mabelle, Olive, Ole, and Florence. (It was Brita who moved to Spicer.)
Ole was 67 and Brita 25 years younger when Florence was born.
When his first wife died, Jennie was so small that they had to lift her up so she could see her mother in the casket. Emma was then eleven.
It was largely Ole who made all the caskets in the parish. The Hardanger Church was built on his land. When they put up a fence around the cemetery, which lay 2 miles farther north, each member of the congregation contributed six rails and four or five fenceposts (1872). It is rather amusing to see that, in 1871, the congregation paid 5 cents towards communion and 25 cents as a sort of a penalty if they had a dog with them!
Ole raised wheat for market and bartered with the general store for cream, butter, and eggs. For the most part, the farmers paid for the construction of the church with wheat.
Ole had been a Lofoten fisherman in Norway and often spoke of Lofoten. When he drove to the mill with his grain, he would always stop at Green Lake on the way home, a distance north of Willmar. He built his retirement home there, and there we met his two youngest children, Ole and Florence. They said that their father ran a fishery with nets and prepared his own dried fish that later became lutefisk. Walleye and pike were the type of fish he used. The old Lofoten fisherman ended up as an inland fisherman in Minnesota. Later we met the descendants of a Lofoten fisherman in Fort Ransom, North Dakota. Following a ferocious, stormy night on the Vestfjord, where one could only run before the wind to dry land, he said that he had enough. He went to America and settled where there was no water to be seen.
By April 1869, Ole had become an American citizen. He represented Whitefield for the Republicans at a regional convention in 1894.
The family believes the Engelli family came in two groups. They think that Ole came with Johanna and Johannes, and that his parents came with Lars and Guri on the ship Orlando, departing June 12, 1870, destination St. Paul. Some believe that Johannes and Johanna were also on the Orlando.
Everyone went out to Willmar and Ole except Lars, who stayed in the Twin Cities for one year. Then he bought a farm from the railroad company in St. Paul and became a farmer next-door to Ole. He married a widow named Hannah Schreuder, second cousin of the famous missionary. They had a son, Edward, who became a minister in the Lutheran Free Church. Edward's daughter, Verna, says that the Home Mission sent him directly to North Dakota following his ordination in 1902. To have a place to live, a minister had to obtain his own homestead and they lived in a sod hut. There their first child was born. While they were living in Ambrose 1910-17, their mother made Christmas trees from a broomstick, with curled sheets of paper and newspaper pages for branches. There wasn't a real tree to be had. She sat alone with three small children during the long evenings, while her husband traveled about on his priestly errands. Today their son is a minister in the Westwood Church in Minneapolis, and the Egge Men’s Choir visited him just before we met him!
Photo reference 222/1: Lars Erickson Follerøli in the photograph on the wall. His wife, Hannah Schreuder, with the children from her first marriage, and with Edward, Lars' son, front to the left | Belongs to: Odd Hamnes.
Lars moved to Willmar when he retired in 1900.
Guri lived on a farm adjacent to her brothers. She had married a Swede who, according to the family, spent most of his time sitting on a wooden box cadging tobacco. "Damn it, Ola, lend me some tobacco" was his refrain. The same with firewood. Ola never saw his tobacco or wood again. The noble John Youngberg managed to get his mother-in-law to give him the $500 she had been saving to pay for her burial, so Ola had to take care of that too.
Children: Josie (Josephine), Ellen, Julia, and Edward.
Johanna and Johannes
These two died a few years after their arrival, Johanna of an unknown illness and her brother undoubtedly in an accident. He was a painter, i.e. an artisan.
Parents Erik and Brynhild
His parents lived with Ola, but his father died in the same period as Johanna and Johannes. Brynhild then married Caspar Swenson and lived on a farm in the area. When she was widowed a second time, she stayed at Ola's and Guri's homes. Brynhild was called Betsy. Erik used Larsen as his family name.
Everyone in the family is buried in the Hardanger Church cemetery, where everyone was a pioneer. None of the farms remain in the family any longer, but the family still has strong ties to the region near Green Lake, Spicer, and Willmar.
Photo reference 223/1: Brynhild Engellia (Follerø) | Belongs to: Odd Hamnes | Photo: Carlson & Wold, Willmar.
Sources: Mark Folkestad, Florence and Ole Erickson, Evelyn Anderson, Verna Holland, and Odd Hamnes.
Ole Bendikson Glærumsdalen
Brynhild of Engellia was Ole B. Glærum's aunt. He was a coastal fisherman before emigrating, so it is reasonable to assume that he and his cousin Ole had been to Lofoten together, and it is therefore not a coincidence that Ole Glærumsdalen has Willmar as his destination in 1870.
The "Local History of Kandiyohi County" says that Ole came to America in 1870, reaching St. Paul on July 12. This Ole is therefore not the same as the Ole Glærum who worked in the woods of Elberta, Michigan in 1872, with Sjur and Nils Glærum and Gudmund Kaarvand. Ole had an older brother who married Eli Olsdatter Gulla. He hasn't surfaced during the period of this writing and may be the one in Elberta.
Ole was a shoemaker's apprentice in Norway, and "Shoemaker Ole Bendixen Follerø, Wife Johanna, Daughter Marith, destination St. Paul, departing June 17, 1870" must among the Nordmøre group in Willmar. Ole's birthdate is different in all three sources, but that isn't so unusual for emigrants.
They reached Willmar the day after arriving in St. Paul. Ole worked in Minneapolis for two years and then opened a shoemaker's shop in Willmar on Third Street. He also took in lodgers. The next summer he added onto his house and started a hotel that he has managed until now, says the book, printed in 1905. For a brief period he leased out the hotel. He added to and improved it several times. In 1905 the hotel had 26 rooms and a large barn. The barn was twice a total loss when it burned down, but Ole rebuilt the building both times, larger and better.
In 1875 Ole bought land lying on the southeast side of town and he managed both the farm and the hotel, but his wife took over more and more of the operation of the hotel.
With regular land purchases, Ole eventually owned 560 acres. In 1905 he sold 60 acres of vacant land to the town, but still had well over 2000 Norwegian mål left (500 acres). The buildings on his farm included a first-class house, lesser housing for the servants, a hay barn and two dairy barns, a storehouse, corncribs, and a machine shed. Ole sold the farm to Gesch, who was the one who really cleaned up selling empty lots to the inhabitants of Willmar.
When we drove into Willmar in the summer of '85, we chanced to stop at a motel in the middle of town. It turned out that Timber's Cafe, straight across the street, lay on the site of Ola Glærumdalen's farmhouse!
Photo reference 223/2: Maret Glærumsdalen (Follerø) | Belongs to: Odd Hamnes | Photo: G.A. Carlson, Willmar.
Ola's mother, Maret O. Glærum, sold everything at an auction in 1895 according to Hyldbakk, and the Dalen house today stands at Vikavollen. She herself journeyed to Willmar, traveling alone at the age of 71. Of the family, only the second-youngest daughter stayed in Norway, married, at Vorren. The youngest daughter, both were called Ragnhild, married Johan Kristianson Marhaug from Torjulvågen, the brother of the Johanna married to Ole in Willmar. Ragnhild and Johan also went to America, but they haven't reappeared. Most likely they also were in Willmar.
Maret Glærumsdalen had four children, two named Ola and two named Ragnhild, so being confused isn't too difficult.
In the census, Maret Glærumsdalen is listed as a hotel owner, and whether it is Ole's daughter or mother is unclear. Probably it is the daughter, but "Wife Maret Glærum, age 71, leaving unaccompanied, September 26, 1984" is one of those on in years of whom anything might be expected. Sources indicate she was 78 when she left Norway. Was she fibbing about her age?
Ole and Johanna's children were: Bastian, born September '67, died July 18, '70; Marit, born September '69, died July 22, '70; Marit '71; Berta Gusta '73; Oleana Johanna '75; Sebastian '78, died '79; Bendik Johan '80, died 2 months later; Louise Christine, Bendik's twin, died the week after Bendik; Johan Bernhart '81; Christian Ludvig '83; and Anna Louise '88, died '89. The local history has a picture of Ole and Johanna with five children.
According to these dates, their son Bastian should be listed in the emigration records. We see that the parents lost both children a few days after arriving at Willmar in 1870.
Burial records of the Calvary Church correct the dates for the twins: Johan Bendek and Lovise Christine were born May 11, baptized July 18, died August 8, and buried August 9.
The burial records also indicate that Johanna Glærum died June 1906, age 63, and Maret Glærumsdalen died, 91 years old, in November of the same year.
The local history for Willmar places the start of the Glarum Hotel in 1870, but also gives the year 1878. Ole ran the hotel several years after Johanna died. In 1905 he called it the Scandinavian Hotel. The hotel was sold in 1910 and in 1922 it was the Pioneer Hotel. Later it became the Nyquist Apartments and included Ann's Cafe, on Third Street.
One source indicates that Ole remarried, but this is undocumented.
Ole and Johanna's daughters must have been quite beautiful and three roads near the farm, now in the central part of town, are named after them: Oleana Avenue, Augusta Avenue, and Mary Ave.
Photo reference 224/1: Signpost - Olena Avenue.
Originally the family home stood on a small knoll overlooking Grass Lake. Today the lake has been drained and the area leveled off.
More about O. B. Glærum in the last section about Willmar.
Sources: "The Local History for Kandiyohi County", Margrethe Fostervold, Evelyn Anderson, Kathryn Maiolini, and Odd Hamnes.
Sjur Sivertson Glærum of the "Johan" and Eli Kaarvand Oren
This couple has been previously mentioned in the chapters about the "Johan" and Michigan. They came to Willmar in 1878. One may wonder why, when each had a brother in Elberta and they appear to have had a respectable standard of living.
They arrived in Minnesota in the spring of 1878 and had established a grocery store business in Willmar by the end of the year.
Local history of Willmar has it that they first came to Willmar, visited Chippewa and Otter Tail Counties, returned to Willmar, and then started their store. Eli had close relatives living near Fergus Falls, the Kvande family, so their trip was presumably to visit them.
Local histories in the USA often have detailed information about emigrants before their emigration which, as a rule, isn't to be found in print here in Norway. After the book about Willmar has told about Sjur's work at home on his father's farm, listed his parents, mentioned his being foreman in the Løset sawmill at Follerø, which was owned by a relative, and how he was in charge of transporting timber to the mill, comes the following charming passage: "After a year or two of experience in this business, he went on a fishing expedition to Smølen and spent a winter in quest of the Norway codfish." Consider that! So neatly said! (Untranslatable!)
And so Sjur came to settle in the companionship of his good friend Ola Engellia from the "Johan" and his childhood friend, Ola B., from Nerådalen at Glærum.
The Willmar history book also reveals that Ola B. worked for a coastal fishery, and we would not be far wrong in supposing these three young men were friends from joint fishing expeditions to Smølen, and surely Lofoten. Certainly they would often have enjoyed a lutefisk dinner with Ola, the inland fisherman of Spicer in his later days, undoubtedly having a rich variety of topics for conversation.
Sjur used the name Sivert in the USA. As a rule he went under the name S. S. Glarum and is buried with this inscription. Eli is Ella on her tombstone. Ella Avenue runs close by their home, which stands just as it did when Sjur died in 1924. I wonder whether it was named after Eli, although a local acquaintance believed someone in the Spicer family had this honor. The Calvary Church where, for over a generation, Sjur had diverse responsibilities and acted as a volunteer caretaker, being a neighbor just one house removed from the church, also lay close to Ella Avenue. Today the freeway has forced the church's relocation and an enlarged railroad right-of-way cuts between Sjur and Eli's home and Ella Avenue. Just as for the streets named after the girls of Ola B., and because Eli is repeatedly described for her helpfulness, kindness, and charity, and because of Sjur's numerous responsibilities in the church and his gift of appreciation from the Willmar Lutheran congregation, naming the street after Eli Oren seems quite reasonable.
The gift Sjur received was sent home to a nephew in Oppigard when he died. It is an ebony walking cane with a gold handgrip on which his name is engraved. The nephew placed the cane on the bassinet of his grandson Sivert on his baptismal day, and the treasure is promenaded on those great days when American relatives come to call.
Ola Engellia's granddaughter, Evelyn, says her father, Sigurd Bjerknes, worked in Sjur's store during the period 1907-21. He told how the farmers came in from the surrounding area and sat round the stove spitting and chewing tobacco, meanwhile helping themselves to snacks from the open barrels. They never got around to business until the store was about to close.
The store was located on the corner of Litchfield Avenue and Third Street. At first Sjur leased it, and later he bought the place. It was built in 1870 and looks like an authentic store out of a western movie in a picture in the book about Willmar. Sjur and Bjerknes are standing out front, and the dog Bruno is showing off on the store's wagon. The building is gone today and the Willmar Travel Service occupies this street corner. The Torvik Office lies directly across the street, but they aren't Nordmøre Torviks according to the proprietor. Ulvestad disagrees. He lists: Johannes Thorvig, Olaus Thorvig, and Ole Thorvig, all living in Spicer. Johannes and Ole are mentioned as farmers and Ole as a railroad worker. In addition, he mentions a Petter Thorvig, farm worker, in Pine River, Minnesota. So the proprietor must assuredly be prepared to learn he is from Nordmøre!
For a time, Sjur was on the Willmar schoolboard, a member of the town council, active in the abstinence movement, and otherwise engaged in society's welfare. He was a Republican and several times we find him a member of committees for the selection of delegates to party conventions. He is himself a delegate to the state convention in 1896. He heads the collection for the hungry in northern Scandinavia in 1903, and three of Willmar's four fund-raising drives. The people of Willmar raised $2120.05 that was divided between northern Sweden and northern Norway after the crop failure of 1902. Many paid their contribution with wheat.
Eli died before Christmas in 1921. The injuries following a fall, mentioned in the letters of her brother from Elberta, appear to have hampered her the rest of her life. She was also set back by a second mishap and, for the most part, was bedridden until she died. Her obituary reveals that she lost two infants.
Just before returning from the USA, we were contacted by a lady everyone thought dead, the daughter of Judge Quale, Eli and Sivert's closest neighbor. She said that it was primarily Mrs. Quale who looked after Eli. Just before Eli died, Mrs. Quale arrived to take care of her and found Eli busy washing the kitchen counter. It was to be clean when she departed the house. Eli gave Mrs. Quale gifts she had received from Sjur for their silver and golden anniversaries, six silver dessert spoons and a small golden brooch. Mrs. Quale's daughter now wished to return these items to this relation, who was busy unraveling the tracks of these folks across America. Two days before our return to Norway, a package came to the door of Sivert Glarum in Elberta. Judge Quale's daughter said she had been like a second daughter to Eli and her husband, and Eli's doughnuts were "out of this world". Eli's obituary ends saying she was always concerned with the welfare of others and never spared herself in this regard.
After visiting their house, which stands unchanged on Litchfield Avenue, and with these gifts and the contact with their donor, and a beautiful afternoon at the cemetery in Willmar, it was almost like bringing the past to life, after removing veil upon veil that had heretofore concealed everything. One had almost the feeling of communicating with the hereafter following these visits to the homes of the "Johan" voyagers. Sjur died in 1924.
Sjur bequeathed $1000 for the maintenance of his own cemetery monuments and the remainder for the cemetery's beautification. The Willmar cemetery is the fairest we saw in the USA, with large, beautiful trees in a park running down to the lake beside the town, where flocks of pelicans unfurled their wings.
Photo reference 225/1: Ole B. Glarum and family on the stairs at Glarum farm in Willmar | Belongs to: Odd Hamnes.
Photo reference 225/2: Sign - The Torvik Office.
Photo reference 225/3: "A Willmar Landmark". - "Glarum's Store", built by M. Abbott i 1870. S.S. Glarum to the left. One of the shop assistants in a white shirt is the son-in-law of Ola Engellia, Bjerknes. Sjur's dog, Bruno, on the wagon.
Photo reference 226/1: Ad from "The Willmar Cookbook", that Eli used to own. One thing worth noting is that payment in the shape of farm produce is accepted.
Photo reference 226/2: Ella P. Glarum (Eli Kaarvand Oren) on the stairs of her home in Willmar. | Belongs to: Ellen Larson Pickering (named after Eli) | Copy: Vassli.
Photo reference 226/3: Signpost - Ella Avenue.
Gudmund's obituary says he went to sea at a very young age and saw many of the ports of the world. In 1872 he arrived in Elberta and Frankfort and he settled in Willmar in 1880, where he first assisted his brother-in-law, S. S. Glarum.
Photo reference 227/1: At the back from left: Gudmund Kaarvand, Nils Glarum. At the front from left: Sjur (Sivert S. in the USA) Glarum, Ole B. Glarum. The photo is probably taken in Willmar in the 1880s, and Nils has been visiting. | Copy: Vassli | (Ulvestad says in a footnote in "Nordmændene i Amerika" that Sjur and Ole B. were the first emigrants from Surnadal. This is not correct, but it is not very far from the truth.)
Later he specialized in agricultural machinery, was employed by the Sperry brothers in Willmar, and subsequently bought the business. The business is listed as G. P. Karwand, agricultural equipment, in 1894. He was also on a trip to Alaska to observe fishing activities on behalf of a whaling company in which he had an interest.
Gudmund is listed among the notables of the town who started a Freemason's lodge, the Elk Lodge, in 1893. Only he, of those listed, has a Norwegian or Scandinavian name. He was on the board of the lodge in 1900. His tombstone stands beside the stately mausoleum of the Rice family in the cemetery. Gudmund's tombstone is also unusually large.
He was a member of the People's Party, a party closer to the Democrats than the Republicans. It was a minority party that functioned now and then until its activities came to a standstill in the 20's and 30's. Gudmund was quite active and was a delegate hither and yon, as well as at the state level. He lived with his sister and brother-in-law, so one can count on there having been lively table conversations between the brothers-in-law, each active in his own political camp.
When Gudmund became sick, Eli and Sjur took care of him. He died in their home in 1920, 69 years old. "Retired businessman", his death certificate reads.
Sources: Margrethe Fostervold, Marit Vassli, Ellen Larsen Pickering, "Local History for Kandiyohi County", Evelyn Anderson, and Florence Quale Westman.
Rolf Telstad, groceries, established 1903, the local history book says. No other information is to be found. This is probably the Rolf Utistua Telstad who visits Johanna Øye and who is mentioned in the diaries of Ingeborg Øye.
When one drives into the little town of Spicer near Green Lake, one sees a sign saying SOGGE above the door of a workshop. Willard Sogge lives nearby during the summer. He is a music teacher and a choir director and he won first prize with his choir farther north. (He died in the summer of 1986.)
Willard's grandfather came here straight from Halsa in 1881. John was the son of Sivert Sogge from Austre Einmoen, Halsa, a well-known lay preacher, missionary, postmaster, and cantor.
John married Hanna Nelson (from Halsa?) and arrived from Norway with her and their son Sigurd. They homesteaded near Green Lake, nearly next-door to the church. They first excavated a dugout for themselves, eventually put up a sod hut, and then a house. They didn't have a large piece of land, only 10 acres. Hanna died of tuberculosis in 1886. They had a daughter Ida, who died as an infant, and a son Carl Johan, who was physically disabled with a hunchback.
John remarried Mette Marie Jacobsen from Moster. Children: Anna Kathrina, Ingvald, Johanna, Esther Martha, Knute, Walter, Marcus, Agnes Ruth, and Theodore.
After five or six years at Green Lake, John moved into Willmar where he worked as a carpenter. John was a soloist and cantor. He was cantor in the Green Lake church while living there, he was cantor in the Eagle Church between Spicer and Willmar, and was cantor in the Lutheran Free Church in Willmar, later called the Calvary Church.
John and his son Ingvald went out to South Dakota in 1911, where they homesteaded in Landeau, near Mobridge. The others followed, except for Sigurd and Knute, Willard's father, who remained in Kandiyohi County.
John built several churches in South Dakota as well as other larger buildings.
His son Carl Johan died after just one year in South Dakota. The son Walter continued on to Oregon. Anna Kathrina died at the age of 19 and a minister adopted her small son. Marcus lived through losing his home, his wife, and two children in a flood in 1938 and he never went back to farming, although the waters were tamed by a dam.
John was born in 1854 and died in 1936 at the home of Viola Sogge Smith in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. His descendant, Jay Smith, has been to the family place at the Kleivset boatyard on Halsa to learn boat construction!
We might note that John's brother Mentz married a relative of Edvard Grieg, settled in Chicago, and then later in Canada.
His sister Marit was divorced in Norway and settled on the eastern shore with her son Sivert.
Sources: Alma and Anne Kleivset, and Willard Sogge.
Bjørnson and Skrefsrud Visit
The first white men had settled in Willmar in 1857. They were victims of the terrible massacre of 1862, but we won't go into stories about that here. It was four years before white men returned to the region and the trails were overgrown. Ole Eriksen says that Willmar consisted of but a few cabins when he arrived at the end of the sixties.
Willmar must have grown rapidly when the railroad reached it, quickly developing into the hub of the area. One hears of enormous religious and political meetings and visits from abroad at the time.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson delivered an address with the title "Norway and Its Political Status" in 1880. The local history of Willmar tells about an enthusiastic audience of our early countrymen. Bjørnson stayed with District Attorney Arctander, who is believed Icelandic.
The missionary, Lars Skrefsrud, twice visited Willmar in the nineties. The first time, he held an outdoor lecture on the farm of O. B. Glarum, one of the founders of the Free Lutheran Church, later to become the Calvary Church. The second time, he delivered a forceful sermon on S. S. Glarum's lawn. Skrefsrud's visit made a deep impression. It was the last great revival meeting in Willmar according to the local history. Following the sermon outside S. S. Glarum's home, people didn't linger about chatting as they usually did. They went straight to their horses and drove straight home without saying a word.
The occasion for Skrefsrud's visit this time was the annual meeting of the Lutheran Free Church of America in June 1895. Sixty-one ministers and 419 laypersons attended. The theme was "The Satisfaction in Laymen's Work". Skrefsrud was the meeting's main drawing card. The crowd was enormous according to Sam Rasmussen in the diamond anniversary book of the Calvary Church.
(Lena and Augusta, daughters of O. B. Glarum, were organists for the Calvary Church in the nineties.)
The "Johan Farers", who established themselves in the forefront of the settlement of the Midwest, can not be said to have lived on the outskirts of society in Willmar. They were vigorously involved with their homeland's leaders in contemporary Norwegian culture!
It isn't surprising that Maret of Glærumsdalen, despite her many years, would dispose of everything and go to America to see the miracle of her son's 2000 mål Glærum Farm, where the great Skrefsrud held his outdoor meeting, where Bjørnson came to visit, and where her son also owned the Glærum Hotel with 26 rooms and has daughters playing the organ in church!
She wasn't satisfied, like Sjur's mother Maret at Oppigard, standing with a shawl wrapped round her during the evenings, staring out towards the Trongfjord.
Photo reference 229/1: Eli and S.S. Glarum's house on Litchfield Avenue 1985, where Lars Skrefsrud held his 'powerful' sermon in 1895.
Sources: Ulvestad's "Norwegians in America", "The Local History of Kandiyohi County", and the Diamond Anniversary Book of the Calvary Church.
Previous chapter - Next chapter
If you would like to write about 'what happened next' to the individuals or familes mentioned in the text of this book - or if you have additional information - why not register as a user and create your own saga-chapters / articles. If you would like us to add a link from somewhere in the text to your own articles then you can contact us here.
A few copies of the book (in Norwegian) are still available for sale - see link to www.bokloftet.com under 'external links' below for further details.
* Copyright Dordi Glærum Skuggevik 1986 - ISBN 02-991394-0-6. Please note: The original text and photo captions in Norwegian – and any digitisation and translation thereof - contain information from public, private and personal sources and may contain unintended errors, inaccuracies or omissions. The author - and as applicable: the digitiser and translator - accepts no liability for any such errors, inaccuracies or omissions. To continue, the reader must accept all limitations of liability and the text ‘as is’ - or should refrain from further reading.
The above content is from the book "Utvandringshistorie fra Nordmøre - Stangvik og Surnadal Prestegjeld" (History of emigration from Nordmøre – Stangvik and Surnadal Parish (Norway)) - published in 1986 by Dordi Glærum Skuggevik - and is used by the author's kind permission. All photos are used by the owners' kind permission.
The English text - except for part VII and photo captions - is a private translation from Norwegian by Sjur Sivertson, used with his kind permission (copyright Sjur Sivertson).